Basic tuning questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Basic tuning questions
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:37:09 -0400
I have some basic tuning questions.  I am not very good at tuning cars
so I have some questions.  My 77 Midget was running fine and over the
course of about 1K miles it developed a miss, then a stumble, now it
runs rough.  Sometimes when you press the accelerator pedal down it bogs
down and misses even worst.  Since one lister said that "70% of
carburetor problems are electric", I figure that is where I will
start.    What I could use is a good basic book or trouble shooting
guide, that tells me where to look and how to check if the components
are still good.  The car is a 1500 Midget with twin SUs and a
mechanical dizzy. I figure I should check the following, but the list
is not in any real order:

1.  Valve lash.
2.  The coil polarity.
3.  That the ballast resistor is wired correct.
4.  The points (check for pitting) and gap.
5.  Not sure how to check if the condenser is good.
6.  Spark plugs.
7.  Spark plug wires (not sure how to check)
8.  Dizzy cap and rotor.
9.  Vacuum advance.
10. Vacuum leaks.
11. Carb balance.
12. Carb mixture.

Any pointers to some good sources would be helpful.  I could just swap
components but I think I would do better with an ordered list and an
idea of the effect of each swap, so I know what to expect and if it
makes a difference.

--
Later,
 Bill                          mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net