Re: painting hubcaps

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: painting hubcaps
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 13:57:43 -0700 (PDT)
Be cautious of spray can clear coat. I've tried Krylon
as well as Rustoleum and after about 6 months in the
sun, my silver paint has a nice yellow tint to it.

Dan

--- Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> You could coat them with a clear, but I think
> anything less than a
> professional clear coat for just this purpose won't
> look good. As soon as
> you get a couple chips in them, you'll probably be
> worse off
> appearance-wise.
>
> Here's what I would do.
>
> Paint the back (this is where rust and pits will
> appear first) with
> silver-gray Hammerite. I find Hammerite is more
> durable than most spraycan
> paints and it's supposed to have a good rust
> preventative in it. Clean them
> with a good degreaser first. Most of all, if you
> spray it in a couple thin
> coats, it looks great. I've discovered that later
> car's bumpers were
> sprayed on the backside with silver paint, and the
> silver Hammerite is
> really close in color. I refinished my '72 bumpers
> this way. I would keep
> the front side clean, waxed and polished. They're
> small and plain, and
> should be pretty easy to maintain.
>
> Just my opinion...
>
> Gerard

=====
Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
64 Sprite (Rotary Project)
Alexandria, Va.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful
servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten
the gift."
- Albert Einstein.