Re: Oil pump replacement

To: adrian@workgroup.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil pump replacement
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:28:10 EDT
In a message dated 9/10/2001 1:32:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
adrian@workgroup.net writes:

> Does everyone replace their oil pump when rebuilding one of these
> motors?

I didn't Adrian, simply because the engines that I have rebuilt had good
working oil pumps in place.  I know there are a lot of chicken little's
running around who advise to replace everything "while you are at it", but I
only think like that when it comes to hard to change parts like a clutch and
timing chain.  On the oil pump, if you check a Chilton's it will show you how
to check the clearance inside the pump with a feeler guage.  I took mine
apart and cleaned it out good, then reassembled it.  It is pumping very well.
 On the other hand, if you have an unlimited supply of money, why not?  Plus
if you need the peace of mind and don't trust your pressure guage, go for it.

--David C.