Warbirds over Brooklyn

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Warbirds over Brooklyn
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:05:51 EDT
I used to be able to see the World trade Center from my house in Brooklyn
Heights.
Now there is chaos in the street. I am sitting here wearing a dust mask in my
house. Windows closed and one air conditioner running.
This is at a distance of about 5 miles.

No subways, no cell phones, no highways.

Lines at public telephones, ambulances, and military plans buzzing overhead.

People in Manhattan now have no way to get out.

Just after it happened I saw a neighbor on the street, who works across the
street from the WTC, walked home over the Brooklyn Bridge. Said he saw people
jumping out the World Trade Center. Too upset to talk.

My wife and I are OK. 20 year old son is in New Zealand. 23 year old daughter
works for CBS News in Manhattan. She is in the studio, and OK. She can walk
home if she ever gets out of there.

I am planning on making a run for your house in Columbia County, just south
of Albany, as soon as they open up the roads. I would like to grab the
daughter, but she is in Manhattan, and no way to get her. Plus this is the
stuff a journalist lives for.

David Oliner