Re: Glove box

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Glove box
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 06:31:55 EDT
In a message dated 9/15/01 12:47:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wolfbj@prodigy.net writes:

<< I know of lots of older vehicles with stop signs as floor boards.

   And until just moments before being pressed into service as floorboards,
some of those very same  stop signs no doubt  served yeoman duty as emergency
auxiliary braking devices for single circuit LBCs.....If you knock it down,
at least have the common decency NOT to leave it on the ground where someone
might trip over it....
         Recycling - what a great old  concept.... think of all the belly
tank streamliners that roared down Bonneville and El Mirage over the years,
some powered by recycled Rolls Royce Merlins....
        When the old toll road between Norfolk and Virginia Beach became  an
Interstate, some racer friends of mine who own a machine shop bought some of
the  old signage for scrap value.  The rear tubs in my Mustang drag car were
formed from "Witch Duck Road" which was,  for many years, "my  exit" .....
After all those years unattended in the elements, the alum was still
corrosion-free.  My tax dollars at work and play....
      My MGB sports 1/4" thick composite floors made of honeycombed rubber
sandwiched between two sheets of super tough aluminum from an air-shippable
Navy electronics van.  (one of the doors was thrown away and I reutilised
it....  The honeycomb weighs a bit more than the stock pans, but you can put
a single sheet between two sawhorses about 4 feet apart and use it as a
workbench, the stuff is so stiff.  I used GE 3100 structural bonding and
bedding adhesive and  poprivets.   Huge difference in rigidity and road noise
reduction.  See, our taxes DO sometimes go to useful projects for the common
man....  Mark C