bearings clearances redoux

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: bearings clearances redoux
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:18:24 EDT
In a previous post I discussed the problem with plastigauge indicating
crankcase bearing clearance of .003 I spoke to machine shop that miked (how
would you spell that?) up the crank and advised to put in standard bearings.

He suggested that metal may have pulled out of the threads for the bolts.
That is should buy a new fine file, hold it flat on the individual pillar
surfaces and make 3 or 4 medium firm passes. He said that I should see the
area around the bolt hole shine up. Said I should do the same on each of the
caps.
Claims that this is SOP on all his rebuilds.

I haven't checked out the rod clearances, but he suggested that I may have to
do this on the caps also.

With the tappets not dropping in, he thought that there might be some rust
from condensation inside the bores. Try wiping everything out real well. If
that didn't work rub around with some 600 paper, But then clean everything
out real well.

He told me that he would check out the "stiffness" on the crankshaft.

Before I start wielding a hand file on the pillar blocks, etc. I need this
lists collective wisdom

David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A

PS I have got too much invest in the kid to scrap him. Also with respect to
non technical stuff I tend to say things tongue in cheek.