timing

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:10:58 -0400
Hey there,

I'm having trouble setting the timing on my 1275 sprite... I must be doing
something stupid, but I can't figure it out: I have the inductive pickup
clamped on the #1 plug wire, power leads hooked up, but the mark on the
crankshaft pulley (dimple) is nowhere near the correct marker... not even
close, and when I turn the distributor to try to line it up, getting as
close as possible (still about 2" off), engine runs terrible and gets real
(smokin') hot. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I set the dwell with a
meter, think it's right on. Runs pretty good when the vacuum advance is
pointing at the #1 plug, more or less, but the marks aren't lining up.

Sorry if this is a stupid question... I'm trying to learn at least!

-Dave