Re: timing

To: David Dycus <david.dycus@blackbox.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: timing
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:06:02 -0700
The crankshaft dampener pulley is a two piece affair.  The outer ring weight
is originally vulcanized to the inner section.  As our cars have aged, the
rubber hardens and cracks, and even allows the two pieces to separate.  It
is possible that the outer weight ring that bears the timing marks has spun
on the inner section rendering the timing marks useless.  Have had it happen
before.  In fact I've just about come to the conclusion that this has
happened on my Torino, as the car runs perfect when the timing is set to
about 5 degrees ATDC, but pings and runs on when set anywhere close to the
factory spec.

If this is infact what has happened in your situation, avoid high rpms,
because the vibration dampener can't do it's job, and set the timing where
the vehicle runs best, and forget about the timing marks.  To do this, stop
the car, and, with spark plugs removed, bring the engine to top dead center
by turning the engine over slowly by hand.  As the #1 piston approaches TDC,
place your finger or thumb over the #1 spark plug hole.  If pressure builds
up and seeps by your finger, you are at TDC, and not 180 degrees off.  With
the distributor loosened,  and the #1 piston at TDC, rotate the distributor
base until the rotor points to where the number one spark plug lead is
located.  Tighten the distributor clamp slightly, so that you can still
rotate the distributor with a little effort.  You should be roughly at TDC.
Reinstall all spark plugs and start the car.  Once up to operating temp,
attempt to lug the car by accelerating from a low RPM.  If it doesn't ping,
stop, and advance the timing slightly.  Repeat this procedure until the car
pings, then back it off slightly.  You should now adjust your idle back to
spec, and the car should be timed best regardless of what the timing light
says.  Any pinging, or run-on, and you just retard it a tad more.  When
done, don't forget to tighten the distributor completely.
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino