Re: Grade 5 vs 8--Anyone Broken a Bolt While Running?

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Grade 5 vs 8--Anyone Broken a Bolt While Running?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:01:26 -0400
Cc: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
DLancer7676@cs.com wrote:

> Be interesting to hear from listers who have suffered critical broken > bolts
>while running, what grade the bolts were

Both suspension applications, both grade 8 bolts.

One on my Sprite, rear Addco sway bar, sheared the mounting bolts and snapped
the sway bar. I hit an average pothole.

A40, Spridget A frames, 3 grade 8s sheared off on the sway bar triangle plate.
But my daughter did hit a curb.

So both were a result of abusive driving. But I have had more than my share of
abusive driving, only the grade 8s snapped off.

I have broken grade 5s too, usually trying to unscrew rusted bolts.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ