Re: Lets get this straight - Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating pro

To: guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lets get this straight - Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:22:09 EDT
In a message dated 9/30/2001 8:53:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk writes:

> Someone mentioned "Cavatation" (sp?)  which is the effect caused when
> the quantity of air bubbles generated by the impeller running at high
> speed begin to reduce its efficiency in pumping water.  There is an
> optimum speed for the water pump to work at its best.  Spin too fast
> and it pumps less water!

Another situation I have heard of, and think I have experienced, is the pump
sucking air  into the weep hole.  A mechanic told me, after we were failing
to find any other problem when I was overheating, that he had seen a couple
of water pumps that would not "weep' to tell you they were goners, but did
the reverse--they "sucked air' into the system and created the cavitation
effect we are discussing.  I put in a new pump and the problem was solved.

--David C.