This Weekend's Clutch Quiz!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: This Weekend's Clutch Quiz!
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:51:36 +0100
Sorry, but it is clutch quiz time again!
Problem:  Clutch on my ribcase not disengaging properly -(hardly at
all!)
Symptoms:   Driving home from work on Friday, as I came up to a
junction and pressed the clutch there was a slight downwards lurch of
the pedal, after which I had great difficulty changing out of gear or
selecting any other.
Managed to drive home with careful use of revs for clutchless
changing.

Tried:    Dismantled slave cylinder and found hard accumulations of
crud on the walls of the cylinder (reconditioned 15 months ago).
Cleaned that up, reassembled and then bled the system with
"Easybleed".  I've used this before and never had too much problem
getting all the air out.

Problem:   No improvement! Pedal feels heavy, rather than springy. Can
start in gear, and remain stationary with engine running, but not
disengaging enough to shift.

So, either hydraulics not working, or something "gone" inside the
bellhousing. Any tests or observations?

Guy