Re: Old Movies - Some LBC

To: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>, kgb@clipper.net
Subject: Re: Old Movies - Some LBC
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:05:56 -0700
Cc: bugeye@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets@autox.team.net
I actually prefer LeMans with Steve McQueen, but it is a much less seen
film (unlike Grand Prix, never see it on cable or TV broadcasts). There is
supposed to be a very rare Austin Heaely LeMans racer in the film in the
ending scenes, but I can never seem to spot it. I own both titles, though
Lemans took me quite a while to find.

Gerard

At 9:07 AM -0500 10/17/01, David Littlefield wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:00:24 -0700 kate & gary <kgb@clipper.net> writes:
>> "Grand Prix", starring James Garner. The original advertising billed
>> it
>> as "100% European Grand Prix Footage". The racing scenes consisted
>> primarily of Formula Junior races from Riverside, CA.
>
>Nuh uh.  You must have the wrong title or something.  "Grand Prix" was
>shot in Europe at the actual circuits with Formula 2 cars.  Speedvision
>has screened it numerous times with interviews of John Frankenheimer (the
>director) and James Garner.
>
>I think it is quite possibly the best racing movie ever made, as long as
>you ignore the rather uninspired plot line.  The camera work is
>absolutely fantastic and the racing is very real, with the exception of
>the crashes that are done with models.
>
>I suffered through "Driven" with Sylvester Stallone that used all the
>latest technology and wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with "Grand
>Prix."  The plot in "Driven" was mind-numbingly stupid, and makes "Grand
>Prix" look like a dramatic masterpiece, as well.
>
>David Littlefield
>'62 MGA MkII
>'51 MGTD
>'74 MG Midget vintage racer