Re: Back to the Future

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Back to the Future
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 17:05:04 -0700
Brian,
     Today I re-installed the 3 row radiator in the Bugeye because the
technician
at Evans Cooling where i bought the NPG+ told me I needed a 3 row
radiator
minimum with at least 1/2 inch wide tubes, which the stock Bugeye
radiator does.
He also told me to take out the thermostat and install a blanking
sleeve, which I
also did today.  I took the car for a test drive, remember I'm using the
S.U. H1s
now.  There was not much change, so I started to play around with the
timing.  An
e mail from David Vizard said I probably am running to retarded and
probably
could advance it to aid in cooling.  He also told me to time it
according to
performance and not timing marks as he has seen some timing marks off as
much as
10 degrees on "A" series motors.  I advanced the timing 5 degrees to 10
degrees
BTDC and did another test drive.  Overheating situation was no better,
but idle
was rough and it was hard to start when hot.  Overheated at speed.
O.K., so I
retarded it 5 degrees form the Bugeye standard timing (5 degrees BTDC)
to 0
degrees.  By now it was time to pick my son up from elementary school 12
miles
away, so off I went on another test drive and an errand.  On the freeway
it
stayed at around 190 and just like when I advanced it, it would raise to
200 at
traffic lights, but when I got moving again, it would drop to 190 or a
little
lower.  At normal timing of 5 degrees BTDC this is pretty close to the
way it
acts, but it does not come down after a traffic light so easily as it
did on my
last test drive today.  My timing cover is from a later 948 or 1098
engine so I
can use a rubber seal instead of a felt one that originally came on the
Bugeye.
It has the 3 timing pointers like the felt seal cover for 0 degrees, 5
degrees
BTDC and 10 degrees BTDC.  Could these pointers be off?  Are some other
markings
in the timing gears or pulley be off?  I'm going to play with carb
mixture
tomorrow with my Colortune because i just re-installed the carbs.  No
overheating-my Holy Grail.  No Monty Python jokes, please.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite

brian S wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Just a thought for when you go back to the supercharger. Maybe some
sort of
> cool air intake to the carb. Much cooler outside air for the intake
may help
> with the overheating you're experiencing a bit. It would lower the
intake
> air charge, even taking into account that the s/c will raise it, it
will be
> lower than compressed underhood air. Lower intake charge,lower engine
> running temp could possibly let you advance the timing a bit, allowing
the
> engine to run even a bit more cooler, (more cooler?is that right??)
also,
> NO??
> Not that it is now but, Timing retarded too much = overheating?? No?
>
> This sound reasonable to all the experts out there? as I am not one of
them.

> ;-)
>
> Brian S.
> Bugeye under resto
>

> >Having replaced my crank pulley this past week (George Folchi was
kind
> >enough to supply a new one to me) I decided to remove my
supercharger.