Re: Turbulators

To: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, David N Waldmann <david@vermonthardwoods.com>
Subject: Re: Turbulators
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:31:19 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
--- David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> The
> problem is putting a flow restrictor in a system
> that already has flow
> problems.
>         Crash

yeh man.

I have used turbolators upstream of devices that need
temp stratification removed, like hot wire
anemometers.  Good there.  In tube heat exchangers,
the tubes are dimpled and the dimples are in a helical
pattern to swirl the flow to prevent stratification
and maximize heat transfer.  Good there.  I also use
swirling vanes in centrifugal water extractors in
systems where pressure drop will kill performance. Bad
there. Big challenge to design good swirling without
adding pressure drop - lots of development time, and
it is a black art.  A proper turbulator with minimal
pressure drop has to be very long - axially, the vanes
should be 5 or six times as long as the diameter of
the duct, and you should not be able to see daylight
when looking dowwn the turbulaotr's axis.  In our
LBCs, The best way to get a good air/fuel mix is to
have the carb jetting set up correctly - we can't
afford the pressure drop of a turbulator IMHO.

=====
Ron Soave
"This is the Land of Peace, Love, Justice....and No Mercy."
- B. Springsteen
Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com