Re: The Hefner Project, now replied

To: SDOliner@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, spritenut@Exit109.com, macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu, nosimport@mailbag.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Hefner Project, now replied
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:01:48 EST
In a message dated 11/4/01 8:21:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, SDOliner@aol.com
writes:

> Speechless
> You guys are awesome

- - - - - - - - - - -

Speechless isn't the word for it.  Keep in mind that I have owned this
property for 8 days (as of Saturday when all this took place), I was a little
bewildered at this point.  I have people ripping out the kitchen, the
satellite goofs reading the instructions on how to use the ladder, the roofer
doing his estimate, and other people all asking what they can do, and Larry
shows up with a 6 pack of beer, then Frank shows up with the rest of the
surprise.

Frank casually introduced me to Peter C. and Ryan.  I shook hands nicely with
them both, and Frank starts making faces like I missed something.  Then he
says, "THIS is Peter C!"  It finally sunk in that that WAS Peter C....from
WISCONSIN...who has helped me many times over the past few years.  (Not to
slight anyone, you've all been a huge help.)  Wait!  Why would Peter C. come
all the way to PA?  They take me outside and show me "The Project."

And only one flat tire.  (Frank wants his two unmatched rims back.)  I was
really surprised, but knowing this group, I shoulda expected something like
this.

The car is a real project, and probably much more than my capabilities.  I
ain't no welder!  We poped open the bonnet...er...we lifted it up carefully
(no hinges) and Larry dive bombs for the end of the temp senser, Frank whips
out his lighter and they heat it up.  Whaddya know, it works!  So Larry said
he wants it!  Sorry Larry, mine doesn't work either, so the temp gauge alone
will be worth the storage space.

I may just take it apart and store/sell the parts.  It is a '75 RB Midget, so
it doesn't have all the appeal of the earlier cars.  The floors are gone,
front wings are gone, bondo on the left rear.  Boot lid may be salvageable.
Some lights are still OK.  All the windows are intact, but the windscreen has
some clouding.  The rubber bumpers are much better than the set we took off
Larry's car when we painted it.  They can be cleaned and restored easily.
Mechanical stuff underneath will have to wait til spring, 'cause I just don't
have the time right now.

But, now I have a red and a green Midget.  I plan on parking them both out
front for Christmas!  Beats putting up icicle lights.  BTW, my
across-the-street neighbor did come over when he saw "The Project" on the tow
dolly.  He is into restoring BMW and Mercedes (we can't all be perfect) so he
may wind up being a good guy to have around.  I apologized for all the
vehicles on the small street and the general crazyness of the day, and he
said it was all normal for the neighborhood.  I think I'll fit right in.

Come spring time, you are all invited to a garage repair/barbecue/beerfest at
my place.  Frabk is bringing the windows to install.  Stay tuned.  And watch
out what you post, or you may receive a gift from these guys!!!

Thanks again to all my friends.  And Peter, I hope your trip home was
uneventful.  (Was that a British lorry you rented?!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport