Re: Shot peening, anyone?

To: <John.Deikis@med.va.gov>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shot peening, anyone?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:16:38 -0500
shot peening is similar to case hardening.  it packs the external molecules
and makes the item stronger by the packing of the molecules (strictly an
external hardening not to be confused with tempering, cryogenic treatments
or tuftriding process).  i'm not certain that glass beads are the equivelant
answer.  the purpose of glass beads is the way they clean of fimpurities but
do not deform the metal.  glass beads break up before doing any damage.  so
i cannot see any benifit in using that media in the process of attempting to
strengthen the item (although it would clean the surface silly!) .  i'd
guess you should be using a type of iorn pellet under pressure.  that would
achieve the effect desired!

chuck
ignore that man behind the curtain! (wiz. of oz)