PPG Coatings Feedback

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: PPG Coatings Feedback
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:09:03 -0500
I see a recent post re. PPG finishes.  Here's my $.02 on PPG paints.

I painted the trunk of my mother's Chevy with the exhaust spray fixture on a
vacuum cleaner back when I was 17.  It came out looking like a dull blue
"orange".  Took a lot of heat on that one.  And, used a lot of elbow grease
and compound to get it looking fairly decent.

Two years ago, I tried PPG Concept Acrylic Urethane on my MGB.  It was the
first time, and last time, I'll use PPG paint.  It produced the worst paint
job I have applied to a car since that Chevy trunk way back when.
Fortunately, I only did part of the car.  It took a lot of sanding to get it
ready for the next attempt.  On that, I used duPont Ful-Cryl II (That's all
the paint shop had in Mineral Blue formulae.).  It came out beautifully.

I have painted a good number of my own cars since the Chevy using lacquer,
enamel and various acrylics.  I always get specific mixing instructions
whenever I buy paints. Usually, I have little wet sanding and polishing to
do despite using just decent hobbyist spray equipment.  But, that PPG
Concept was "the pits."

In recent years I have used Imron, Centari & even Glasurit's icocyanate with
beautiful results.  BTW, I don't know if isocyanate paints are still sold in
the U.S.  But, I wouldn't use it again as it is quite toxic & the fumes last
an inordinately long time.

Norm Sippel
'59 Turner (Sprite power & running gear)
'66 MGB