Horsepower (DIN) FILETIME=[618925D0:01C174E7]

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Horsepower (DIN) FILETIME=[618925D0:01C174E7]
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 07:16:19 -0600
I accidentally sent this to my Slobberbone list the other day, instead
of here, man were they confused!!!

My friend Mike is looking for an alternate power plant for his 68 Sprite

shell. We have found a 81 Toyota Starlet engine goes in well with it's 5

speed tranny very smoothly with no cutting required. Does anyone know if

there are aftermarket intake and/or exhaust made for the 1290 Toyota
engine. Peter C.?? Have they been used in any other car than the
Starlet, either here in the States or the U.K. or Oz. Please, folks, we
are looking at the hp here. Which brings up my subject line. I have an
older Chilton Book for the early Starlets that lists the 1100 as having
76 hp. I'm thinking cool, this means that you will have even more out of

the 1290!! We find someone with a book on the 1300 and it has 57
(DIN)??? WTF?? Our 1275 came with 57 hp and what is DIN?? Could someone
help me out here. FWIW, Mike is wanting the Toyota powerplant because he

can't stand the RPM's the stock drivetrain turns at speed, make him
nervous. The Morris service kit is more cost than he wants to bear, I'm
still saving my pennies for mine, so the Toyota 5 speed on the motor
works out for him. He has been measuring because it is his intent NOT to

cut the body to fit this engine in, the car is in great shape and he
will not destroy it because of his whims. OTOH, the rusty old donor car
is heading for 4 wheel drive heaven, complete with a camouflage paint
scheme <G>
Brad