Clutch covers and release bearings

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch covers and release bearings
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:10:11 -0000
Hello List, I need your help!
I am putting a 5speed box into my 1275 Sprite, which involves matching
from a choice of non- standard parts, and I am not sure what will work
together.
The 5 speed box is a Ford, but the question relates to the clutch
cover and clutch release bearing.

The new clutch cover has a central steel disk, like a large thick
washer, fixed to the middle of the spring steel "fingers".  I presume
that this is to provide a  flat surface for a graphite - type release
bearing to operate against.
I do have a spare graphite release bearing, but the the ribcase that I
am removing has a roller type release bearing, which I guess would be
better to use.

The old clutch cover dosn't have the centre washer thing - the roller
release bears directly onto the "fingers".  So the question is - Can I
use the roller type bearing against the clutch cover with the central
steel disk, or will it only work without this.

One problem, the old clutch had given up on me - it had stopped
releasing, and when I look closely I can see that the spring fingers
are distorted, more on one side than the other.  What is apparent, is
that the thickness of the roller release is considerably greater than
that of a standard graphite release.  If I use the roller release with
the new clutch cover which has this central steel disk then the
release fork arm will be at a very different angle.

So, if you are still with me -- what do you think?
What type of cover does a roller release normally operate against?

Guy