URGENT FEDERAL

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: URGENT FEDERAL
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:34:46 EST
"the road to hell is paved with good intentions"

I think the thing we should be most scared about is the unintended
consequences, which we can't forsee now.  When CAFE and gas guzzler were
established,  trucks were exempted because they were only for work, etc.  The
automakers realized this and began to market trucks as luxury vehicles
because on a 40,000 dollar truck you get to keep all 40,000 and it doesn't
count toward CAFE.  The government's heart was in the right place but by
passing legislation intended to curb fuel consumption they actually created
the SUV boom and brought consumption to new highs.   There would be no
Cadillac Extravaganza or whatever those ridiculous heaps are called without
CAFE and gas guzzler, I think this is what's called ironic.  This type of
legislation is very often worse for the problem it's trying to solve than no
legislation at all, regardless of intentions.

Mark