Re: LBC economy, WAS: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT

To: jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Re: LBC economy, WAS: URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:41:34 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/2/02 9:56:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, jboatri@emory.edu
writes:

> I wonder what would happen if more people had 50 mpg Minis,
> spridgets, or Moggies as at least their second cars? Would it lower
> our dependence on oil (regardless of source)? Would it lower
> pollution? Would there be less road rage 'cause everyone would be
> grinning so much?
>
> Nah, it'd never work. The technology is just not there...
>
> ...now that we've crushed it...

I'm afraid this isn't a question of technology, but one of market demand.  No
one is forcing people to buy $40K SUVs -- they are choosing them, in larger
and larger numbers.  Little economy cars just don't sell like they used to
because folks don't mind paying through the nose for gasoline.  Also, the
last ten years have been gravy years, and folks want the luxuries.  I fully
expect Ford's next SUV to be called the Cartographer, and to be large enough
to park over the top of a garage.

And, if we add that insatiable (and IMHO counterproductive) consumer appetite
for bigger and bigger SUVs to any political or federal action in regard to
old cars, I can almost guarantee the results will be bad law that promotes
inefficiency, screws the hobbyist and does not result in a cleaner
environment.

Now, for the prediction: if this is a Senate bill, it is likely being
supported by Democrats and, thus, will be opposed by Republicans.  Since the
switch of Jeffords to Independent status, the Senate Dems are just aching for
a fight on something they can use against the Republicans.  This bill might
even pass the Senate, but I'd guess it'll die in the House or in committee,
especially because the nation is still thinking about national security and
cars just aren't a national priority right now.

So, how's that for getting off-topic?

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye