Re: How to find source of battery drain?

Subject: Re: How to find source of battery drain?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:10:16 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Greetings folks:
>
> After a bit of a list hiatus due to the birth over the Summer of my daughter,
>I figured it was about time to try to get at least 1 Midget out of the garage.
> So last weekend, I went to start the '74, and discovered that the battery was
>dead.  So I charged it up for a few hours, but the car still needed some help
>from a jumpstart in order to get it going.  Yesterday, I figured I'd start it
>up again, and the same thing happened... a dead battery.  Not even enough
>juice to run the fuel pump.  I put the charger on for a while, but before
>trying to crank the engine, I disconnected the negative terminal, and placed
>an electrical tester from the engine block to ground, and got nothing.  Is it
>possible that I am losing current at such a slow rate that it would discharge
>the battery in a week, but not enough to light the test lamp?
>
> If that is true, how would a find the problem?

        Sounds to me like the battery is dry, thus it won't take a charge. If
it does have water and it eventually holds a charge, get an ammeter to
see what the load is on the battery with the ignition off. Sprites don't
have anything that should be powered while the car's off, so far as I
can remember, so any reading on the ammeter would be too much. Most
modern cars I've checked have at least a tenth of an amp when off.
        Also, if you're using the original battery clamps, huck those POSs in
the bin (unless you have an otherwise VERY original car, IMesHO ;).
--
~
'87 RX-7 TII: People for the Ethical Treatment of Tires.