RE: Lucas 23D Mechanical Advance Dizzy, Performance, Exhausts

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas 23D Mechanical Advance Dizzy, Performance, Exhausts
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:16:59 -0600
Listers,

I'm afraid I posted the 23D part number for Autozone, which in my neck of
the woods, can't order the Lucas 23D.  The CORRECT Napa Auto Parts number
for the rebuilt 23D is 48-400, per my invoice.  Thanks to David Littlefield
for spotting the problem!

Most of you old timers already know all this stuff, but those pondering the
keep it all stock or spiff it up a bit decision (it took me 7 years of
reading Vizard to make the plunge), may be interested in my results so far.

Original spec 1275, desmogged and carbs needing a rebuild:
        0-60 about 16-17 secs, 25 mpg just running around

New HS-4 (minor mods per Vizard), K&N, Oselli Intake manifold, Maniflow LCB
Header:
        0-60 about 13-14 secs, 19-20 mpg just running around

Adding 23D mechanical advance dizzy:
        0-60 about 12 secs, 25 mpg just running around

Obviously this tells me you guys were right, the change from twin carbs to a
single carb did mess up the vacume to the old 25D vacume advance dizzy, and
going straight mechanical advance made a very big difference indeed.

I have a single box Maniflow exhaust inbound from APT, and I'm expecting it
will make a nice difference as well, as all my previous breathing mods are
still pushing the gas out the original exhaust, which according to Vizard,
is about as bad as it can possibly be.  When I did the original bolt ons a
couple of years ago, I ordered the Maniflow twin box system from APT then,
but when it arrived, the pipe bends were about 75 degree bends instead of
the 90 degree bends of the original.  This meant the rear muffler was not
tucking under the rear of the car like the original, but hanging out a bit.
I sent it back and figured Maniflow would eventually fix the problem and I'd
order another one some day.  I called APT the other day and they said
Maniflow had NOT fixed the problem, the bends are still not correct, so I
ordered the single box system.  They said it would be a bit louder, but not
too much so on the 1275, guess I'll see.

Anyway, I'm just tickled to death with this new dizzy, got some half decent
gas mileage back and according to the old road tests, 12 seconds 0-60 puts
the Midget right in early MGB territory, and I'm hoping for more umph from
this new exhaust!!

I can't thank you folks enough for all your help, first with the stalling
problem, and now the dizzy advance issue.  My fun factor in the Midget has
increased dramatically, it's like meeting an old flame and finding out she's
even better than you remember!

Coastie Bob
'74 Midget
'90 944S2 Cab