RE: Lucas 23D Mechanical Advance Dizzy, Performance, Exhausts

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas 23D Mechanical Advance Dizzy, Performance, Exhausts
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:18:13 -0600
Bob, and others,
         If I may add some info from a "parts guy" perspective.
         The 23D is a Model number. It represents a type of part, not a
specific part. In this case of 23D, all 23D dizzies are centrifugal advance
without vacuum and share common housings, point base plates, LT leads, cap
clips and some other sundries. Each specific car application will be
assigned a Part number  like 4#### (letter). The part numbers are assigned
based on smaller differences as required by the car maker. In this case a
difference would be advance curves as determined by weights and springs.
(Another difference might be the external design of the cap as relates to
wire exits)
         So, why bother with this? Any supplier like A-Zone, Pepboyz,
Advance, CarQuest, NAPA, etc, etc are selling the same parts rebuilt by one
of  2 remanufacturers. All of them. The same REBUILT part number fits
Midgets, MGAs, Minis, etc. I should think the advance curves would be
different, and they are. (this is a common fault of the big chain parts
sellers)
         I suggest you get someone to provide you with the advance specs
you need and try to re-curve your distributor to get all you can out of
your conversion. It sounds like you're on the right track, might as well
finish it.  Good luck.
         Peter C
==

At 08:16 AM 2/5/2002, Mueller, Robert CDR wrote:
>Listers,
>
>I'm afraid I posted the 23D part number for Autozone, which in my neck of
>the woods, can't order the Lucas 23D.  The CORRECT Napa Auto Parts number
>for the rebuilt 23D is 48-400, per my invoice.  Thanks to David Littlefield
>for spotting the problem!

<SNIP>