Re: bugeye alternators

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bugeye alternators
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:46:16 -0800
I go with Jeff on this one. If you want to keep it economical, you need to
find the true source of the problem. This is more likely to be a bad ground
in the lighting circuit than the generator. Adding an alternator won't fix
that. There are procedural checks in all the repair manuals for generator
output voltage and voltage regulator settings. Brushes are very cheap too
if their worn. I'd make sure that that is set up properly before diving in
to an alternator. You can get original late model Lucas replacements from
the usual parts stores. That will be your easiest installation. Other
conversions require modifying the water pump ear and making custom
brackets. I think David Riker's alternator is the cleanest, easiest
alternator modification, though not the cheapest.

Gerard