Re: Truing Wire Wheels

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Truing Wire Wheels
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:12:18 -0600
 macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu writes:

> > New chrome wires, at 4.5" (stock wires are 4"), are about $275,
truing and
> > getting old ones ready was something over $300 each. The painted
wires are
> > about $250 each new. As for refurbishing painted wires, I don't
know,
> > didn't
> > ask.

    It's often cheaper to buy a new wheel than "refurbish" an old one.
I've never done it on cars but have trued motorcycle wheels for years.
Even a "well maintained" wheel that has not been trued for years is a
nightmare.  Most folks will wash their wheels and never give much
thought to how they work.  One end of the spokes is threaded to adjust
tension.  We've all fought front suspensions pieces that are rusted into
one piece.  Now multiply that times 60 spokes  per wheel times four. You
can count on about 1/2 of the spokes breaking and they are not cheap
either.
    I don't know what the shop rate is nationwide but it is about $75/
hour here.  If the spokes are rusty, broken, bent, etc., you could
easily burn up 2 hours, or more, per wheel, plus parts.  Then comes the
sandblasting, painting, etc.
    The advantage of dirt bikes is that tires sometimes are ruined in a
weekend so the tires are replaced regularly.  I loosen the spokes and
retrue the wheel every other tire change.
    I don't want to rehash the penetrating fluid ordeal-- but I use the
stuff that has a couple of letters and a couple of numbers in its name.
Works for spokes.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO