Re: got a new welder

To: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: got a new welder
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:26:27 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Glen Byrns wrote:

> Even at the lowest power setting it seems to be a bit 'hot' for the thin
> sheet metal our cars are made of.  I'm using the .035 flux core wire with no
> inert gas.

That's the problem, I think.  I use solid wire w/ CO2.  The CO2 lays down a
little flatter bead and requires way less grinding.

> Is there a way to decrease the power?  Someone suggested a long
> extension cord (of appropriate rating) would work like a ballast wire in an
> ignition circuit.

Tough on welders, I'd opine.

> My goal is to make a nice edge weld of two sheets of
> 18ga. without it becomming a jagged drippy mess.  I know practice is part of
> it, but a bit less power would help I think.  Thoughts?

Practice is the key, all right.  If you've tried a shielding gas, solid wire,
and
moving along a little faster, you should be where you need to be.  You might
also
try "stitch" welding so you don't warp the metal.  I was never a fan of sopping
rags and standing on wet concrete while holding a MIG welder.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO

Pop. 420