Spacers & Long Studs

To: bugeye@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Spacers & Long Studs
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:51:35 EST
I've decide on a change in my wheels - switching to wide wheels on my Bugeye
, specifically 13x6 Vega GT rims.  After reviewing the archives & past
threads, I know I will need to switch to longer wheel studs and will need
spacers for (at least) the back.

I would appreciate some detailed recommendations to those of you who have
switched to wider wheels already (not necessarily  just Vegas) .

1.  Is there a best length for the the studs? I'm just as concerned about
getting them too long as I am getting too short.

2.  I am planning on 7/16" diameter studs. Are 1/2" studs necessary or
feasible?

3.  Spacers - do I need to buy a kit (such as MiniMania) ? or can I make my
own with basic tools? Is there a best design? i.e. donut-shape spacer or
individual spacers (1 per stud)?

Also someone recently mentioned they are running 205/60x13 tires on their
Bugeye.  This seems a bit extreme for me (street-only) but I would be
interested in hearing about or even seeing your setup.

I'm sure I can figure some out some of these myself by experimenting, but
figured the collective wisdom of the lists is faster, safer and will present
all the pros and cons.

TIA

Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano
59 Bugeye (will be on the road in 2002 after a 28 year "nap")