4th gear tricky

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 4th gear tricky
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:56:35 -0500
This message didn't make it to the list the first time so it's a bit old,
but I'm trying again...

Well, finally Dad took the engine to someone with an impact wrench and we
got the crankshaft pulley nut off.  I got the  crankshaft out on Sunday and
found an engine shop that claims to have recently worked on anther midget
so we're headed in the right direction.

Unfortunately, now I have to start working on cleaning up the rust spots
etc in the engine compartment and cleaning the rest of the car - working
on the actual engine is a lot more fun...

A question though about the gearbox.  The car was fine into first, second
and pretty smooth into 3rd but could be really tricky into 4th.  Also had
to double clutch to downshift to second.  Can't really "see" too much
obviously wrong in the gearbox, but the bearing at the front is definitely
worn and there's a lot of play - could this alone account for the
difficulty shifting or do we need to look further?  It would be kind of
tough to put everything back together and then find out we still had a
problem!!

Any advice/insight is as always appreciated!
Kirsty
78 Midget
Tampa