Re: Testing a coil

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, "Bill Gilroy" <w.gilroy@verizon.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Testing a coil
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 12:20:18 -0800
Cc: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "Kevin Valntine" <valntine@ptd.net>
Chuck -

See also my note to Bill.

It appears that if the rotor fit to the shaft is too tight, internal
breakdown (micro cracking) occurs and the rotor appears to no longer be
made of an insulating material.  The "relief" of the locator lump has work
well for me and some others.

Local lore:  A SoCal Brit Wrench say's that he uses a piezoelectric-sparked
gas bar-b-q starter to test rotor breakdown.  He puts the rotor on his
finger tip and touches the 'starter to the top and pulls the trigger.  If
he can feel anything, the rotor goes into the trash.

Clay L.
'67 Sprite