Re: thoughts on wheel studs and lug wrenches

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: thoughts on wheel studs and lug wrenches
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 06:56:42 +0100
I too have a long memory!
When I was about 12 my Mom had one of the very first minis in the UK.
I used to do the maintenanace and snapped 3 studs on one front wheel -
using the factory supplied wrench.

The reason was a manufacture fault - the studs were the wrong grade on
the first 800 or so cars produced ( and the pressed steel wheels were
also too thin - but therein lies another tale!).  The cars were all
recalled to get their wheel studs changed - but not before I had done
the quality control checking for the factory!

Guy