Re: [midgetsprite] Lbc grill question

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Lbc grill question
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:06:24 EDT
In a message dated 05/17/2002 6:27:56 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
breeanna1012000@yahoo.com writes:

> Is it posssible to remove a "rubber" bumper grill on
> one of these lbc's in exchange for a "chrome"
> one? if so, how much trouble and cost would
> be involved?
>
> Bree!

Anything's possible Bree.  I believe the hood and grill opening are fine, and
there are openings on the fenders for lights, but I believe they are too big
for standard Spridget turn signals.

A body guy could fill them in, or you can put front wings (fenders) from an
eariler car.  The chrome bumpers and grill are available.  If memmory serves,
the grill alone 65-67 Midget type is about $350 from Moss....Sprite grill is
simpler, so it should be less, and there should be plenty of used ones
available.

I have not been able to negotiate a (IMHO) reasonable price for an early
Midget grill yet.  I've found a couple, made offers, and been turned down or
ignored.  Crash was making me a good deal on one, but I was short of funds at
the time and had to pass.

The problem with a used grill is that unless it is very cherry, it will need
rechroming, and this will cost as much as the new one from Moss...or close
anyway.

So, it's possible, and in my opinion, desireable.  I still plan to put the
side chrome for the Midget (Hey Brad, if you want your Sprite to be original,
you need to sell me those chrome strips, they are Midget), the 65-67 grill,
and even the unobtanium hood chrome on my 74 Midget.

Robert Houston...some day, over the rainbow.........anything is possible with
enough time, money, and TNT.

"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are
incapable
 of pure love and always have to mix love and hate."
 - Sigmund Freud