Re: Lug nuts*

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lug nuts*
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 11:12:32 -0700
During the design phase of the Chevrolet Vega, several power sources were
considered, including Wankel Rotary, V8, and High output 4 cylinder.  Late
in the design, the first oil crisis occurred, and a hurried decision to put
in an ingenious, but untested light weight aluminum 4 cylinder engine to
meet the demand for fuel efficiency.  Cost cutting on materials led to poor
rust resistance, and brisk engine cylinder wear.  As the first energy crisis
came to an end, Chevrolet contracted with engine builder Cosworth to use a
fuel injected dual overhead cam engine in a limited production halo model.
First only available in black with gold wheels, interior trim, and stripes,
later model year Cosworth Vegas were available in other colors.

Vega models included Base Hatchback, Notchback, and Kamback, GT Hatchback
and Kamback, and Cosworth Hatchback.  Later Vega engines utilized steel
cylinder liners to improve engine longevity.  Spin offs of the Vega platform
include the Chevy Monza, Pontiac Astre, and Buick Skylark.  Monza and
Skylarks were also available with V6 engines from the factory.  Due to the
flexibility of the original design, a small block chevy v8 up to 400ci will
bolt in with off the shelf parts.  At the time, you could build quite a hot
4 cylinder from the stock sleeved engine with hot cams, dual DCOE Webers,
headers, etc.

All this is from memory, may contain some mistakes...