Re: Under the bonnet heat; I have to much

To: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Under the bonnet heat; I have to much
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 08:24:42 -0400 (EDT)
Bill -

A series of ideas that may help, in random order, some of them gleaned
from my experience with my similarly equipped '77.

Idea 1: Get a better heat shield.  A cookie sheet is okay, but you're
going to need to do better with that CatCon under there.  I'm running a
heat shield made of 1/8" aluminum plate with strips of header wrap
riveted to it.  I can send you drawings if you like.

Idea 2: Check your fuel/air mixture.  If you're running even a little
rich, the CatCon will make a lot more heat.

Idea 3: Rig a second heat shield over the CatCon.

Idea 4: The 1500 hurts for airflow anyway, with that big honkin' bumper
diverting most of the airflow.  I added a "chin scoop" under the bumper
to direct air into the two slots under the bumper.

Idea 5: If you do get the header, have it coated inside and out, but
skip the header tape.  It doesn't retain heat evenly, leading to stress
cracks in the header after about 5 years (ask me how I know).  Actually
just going to a header will help immensely.  You wouldn't believe how
much heat the CatCon makes...

Idea 6: Insulate the fuel lines in the engine compartment.  Delivering
cooler fuel to the float bowls helps a lot.  This was step 1 on my
Midget.

Idea 7: Polish the carbs.  This isn't just a vanity thing, it helps the
carbs reflect heat away.