Re: Under the bonnet heat; I have to much

To: Red Midget <redmidget72@yahoo.com>, mgraziano@mindspring.com, Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Under the bonnet heat; I have to much
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:15:38 -0400 (EDT)
A good point.  Go find a clapped-out Fiat X-1/9 at a parts yard, you
can get the fan, a thermostatic switch, ducting and relays from that
(the X-1/9 had a small fan that blew air on the carb when a temp sensor
on the carb reached a certain point).

>  I swed you a word of caution in using a computer case fan for this
purpose.  Those little fans are not made for that kind of heat, plus
they are not sealed for use around such level of moisture.  I am
positive the fan would overheat causing more electrical problems and
possibly a fire.  And we don't want that !  If you want a fan to push
air over the affected area I would suggest using an automotive type
heater fan / blower, and run the power through a relay.
> Lon /RedMidget
>   mgraziano@mindspring.com wrote: Mike & RH,
>
> I have the exact same problem as the both of you. We're experiencing
vapor lock. I plan on buying one of those 12V 5" computer fans, and use
flexible gutter hose (the 5" black kind for under the dirt) to feed the
fan with fresh air blowing directly under the carbs.

> As an alternative, I may actually use the duct and fan to remove the
hot air (i.e. the fan pulling the hot air into the duct), which I think
may be better. The only problem I forsee is that I may melt the fan on
really hot days when I need it most.

> My GM alternator should be up to the challenge.
>
> PS: I also have twin SUs, an aluminum heat shield, and a header
(which is worse than a manifold).