Magnetic sump plugs

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Magnetic sump plugs
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:18:01 +0100
I see Cap'n Rob mention he is using a magnetic sump plug.  I do too,
but have wondered if they are realy a "GOOD THING"
It just seems that the the magnet in the sump plug isn't really in the
best position to pick up any debris that might be circulating in that
quanitiy of oil. OK, some will  (and does)  gravitate in that
direction when the engine is asleep.
OTOH, I would guess that there is also a danger of "magnetising" some
metal particles and these then getting attached elsewhere in the
circulation system, where they are NOT wanted!!

A logical place for a magnet would be in the oil stream just as it
enters the filter.  Why are filters not made with a built-in
magnet? -- or are they? --- It would surely only add a few pence to
the cost of the filter and could save a whole engine!

Sorry Cap'n - now I have given you something else to worry about!

Guy