Re: LBC article in NY Times FULL TEXT--- Fw: NYTimes.com Article:Blood,

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBC article in NY Times FULL TEXT--- Fw: NYTimes.com Article:Blood, Sweat, Tears and a Lot of Oil Leaks
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 17:10:41 -0400
I read this, uh, "non-fiction" piece and it quickly became apparent that the
premise of the article was to again describe British
cars as unreliable.

IMHO, the first 1/3 of this is but a load of do-do. (Sorry.)

The first bio describes the woes of someone driving a 21 yr old car, that she
bought used by the way, cross-country. Gimme a
break.

The second bio is about a guy who buys a '67 Morgan, new.
Obviously, really should have bought a B-GT or Jaguar.
Sells it.
Replaces it with an 9 yr old car, a Bugeye, with similar primitive creature
comforts.
Most 9yr old cars have something wrong with them. No?
Replaces that with a TR-3B, another used car that surprise! Needed work.
Next, and I guess because he hates these British cars so much, buys another used
Triumph. This time one with a rotted frame.

Gimme a Break. This is just a bunch of fiction.

The closest the author gets to reality is his chat with Jeff Burns

But he closes with another great source, a broker buying cheap and selling high
who again has a horror story filled with
generalities about "poor quality" E-Types. As an example he describes a car that
he admittedly owned (translation couldn't sell)
for 7 months.

So basically to paraphrase the author, this is the gist of the article:
British cars whether new or used are unreliable.
Despite the fact that a car might be 35 years old with an unknown history of
ownership and of unspecified condition, it should
be expected to perform, as new.

This author, Jim Motavalli rings a bell. I'm pretty sure he used to write
auto-related pieces for the New Haven Advocate.
During his time there he didn't garner much, if anything, in the way of
credibility for his automotive expertise.

As a good parallel, this is tabloid auto journalism.

To Mr. Motavalli, I say, (In the tone of voice and French accent of the immortal
John Cleese from The Holy Grail) "I fart in
your general di-rection!"

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct