Starting Mystery

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting Mystery
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:17:11 -0500
Midget Masters,

This one has been driving me nuts for years.  The '74 sometimes decides not
to start when the weather is hot, won't turn over, but push starts just fine
(glad it isn't heavy, since I'm usually by myself when it happens).  Over
the past several years I've replaced the starter, cleaned all the grounds,
and most recently was sure I cured the problem when I bypassed the ignition
switch and installed two switches under the dash, one for ignition on and
one for the starter.  I had a couple months without the intermitant problem
and was sure I had solved it, but yesterday it happened again.  Drove the
car to work just fine.  Then at lunch I ran some errands, 90 degree weather,
everything just fine.  Then about 3pm had to go make another run, 93
degrees, and the starter would not turn over, nada.  Push started it, caught
instantly, drove it home.  This morning, after it's nice and cool, starter
works just fine.

New starter, new ignition switch, then bypassed ignition switch, cleaned
grounds, new relay, only happens when it's really hot outside, and only
sometimes......what am I missing??

Bob
'74 Midget
'90 944S2 Cab