Re: To blast or not to blast?

To: SDOliner@aol.com
Subject: Re: To blast or not to blast?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:45:11 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I blast everything except plastic and chrome.
Gennys, starter, master cylinders.
But you have to take them all the way apart and do each piece seperatly.
I even powder coated a master cylinder or 2 but have yet to install it.
Do not blast the insides of starters or gennys unless you remove the
windings. Tape them up to keep the beads out of the insides.
Always wash blasted hydraulics 4 times and blow them dry inbetween each
washing. One glass bead will ruin the new seal in a day.
I would recommend taping off the insides of any hydraulics before
blasting but still wash is several times. If the insides are pitted,
don't waste your time blasting it.
Same with carbs, NEVER blast the insides of an SU carb dome or the
piston. Just use carb cleaner on them. Tape them up to prevent beads
from entering. the blue (scotch brand) masking tape works great an comes
off easily after blasting. That yellow masking tape gets messy after
blasting.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ