Re: Belt or Chain?

To: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Belt or Chain?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:21:42 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike MacLean wrote:

>  I am having a discussion with Gerard about whether we should use an >
>adjustable double row timing chain or convert to belt drive on the >  1275

Mike

I went to the adjustable belt last year.
I'll never go back to a chain again!
Much quieter (for what that's worth on a Sprite)
I zeroed in my cam at 4* advance and the car moves out.
Just keep a spare belt in the tool kit and you will have no worries.
Changing the belt is a 5 minute job once you pull the radiator.
The chains loosen up after about 500 miles but they are good for 80,000
miles.
If you are building a better then stock engine, go for the belt drive.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ