Rod

To: "mgs list" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rod
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:26:33 -0500
I wrote in a couple of weeks ago to get advice about my engine knock.  Incase
anybody was wondering what happened, here goes.  After getting the car to the
mechanic.  I went on vacation.  I came back today to go check on it.  The
engine is still in the car but he has at least looked at it.  I was confused
about what he had told me before about throwing a rod.  I have not thrown a
rod.  I have damage to at least one of my connecting rods.  He has one out of
the car and showed me where the rod was pitted and the thrust washers (I think
that is what they are called) have rings grooved in it.  What could have
caused this?  He thinks the PO tried to replace the washers on rods that were
starting to go oval.  He said the rods had not been cut down.  The next
question is:  are all the rods like this one and what kind of damage has been
done else where.  He is going to get the engine out and start taking it apart.
I'll let you know what he finds.  Oh by the way I'm taking up donations just
incase someone out there feels like they just have too much money laying
around and would like to donate to the cause.