Re: Healey International at Lake Tahoe

To: Ankitterer@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Healey International at Lake Tahoe
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:30:23 -0700
Cc: bugeye@yahoogroups.com, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Hi Annice,

Well, here's another fix for you...

I made it there yesterday for the day. Larry Pitts (a list lurker) and I
drove up together, after meeting him at his house in Vacaville. I saw Bob
and Larry as well as many other listers and non-listers I knew there. I had
trouble finding Bob at first because he was not grouped with the other
Bugeyes, but placed with a line of cars that were "original or one owners".

People I met from the list were, Roger Cotting along with two of hos
non-list friends who also drove out in Bugeyes from Michigan; Steve Byers
and wife Freida who were there in TARHEALEY, a BJ8 drivin from North
Carolina; Doug Ingram and his the earliest known Bugeye from amoungst those
we all know. 1st time I've even seen a nine stud windscreen in person;
Bryan Vandiver, formerly on this list; John Carey and his friend Rod Hill;
I met Walt Harrison (list lurker) and his wife Freida who drove their
Nevada Beige Bugeye from Olympia Washington, caravaning with Doug Ingram. I
also had a chance to talk with Tom Colby who built and absolutely stunning
Bugeye for one of the participants. This was a custon job with many
tasteful refinements. The only critiscism most people had was this was
built by "checkbook" rather than by the owner, but he did plan all the
design changes at least. Jack Brashear was here in a box Sprite, and I
finally met Terry Cowan and PMO200 in person. Another fascinating car was
the Hemi-Bugeye, even more inpressive in person that the pictures I've
seen. I didn't realize that that car is from the Bay area, built not 45
minutes from me. There was also a absolutely stunning Gold Concourse Iris
Blue Bugeye, also from Michigan. Every detail and accessory was covered,
right down to the ribbed blue floormats, which I understand were the ones
George Marinos made avaiable last year. They definately went to good use. I
never did find Bob Brown though... don't know who else I might have missed.

Two stunning example of the 100-S were there as well as the "Nasty Boys",
historic racing versions and protypes including the all polished aluminum
X14 100-4 and the the Healey Fiesta, the last Healey badged car from 1978
(yes, THAT Ford Fiesta). Only one was built with the involvement of Geoff
and Donald Healey.

The weather was absolutely perfect and the number of gorgeous and perfectly
restored Healey's was even greater. The day ended way too soon. Hopefully
I'll have some pics to follow in the coming days.

After the show, t was a real kick to drive around town and every few
minutes see a Healey on the road headed this way or that. It was a flash
from the past when except then, you really didn't think twice when seeing a
Healey go by.

Glad I could make it if only for one day.

Gerard