Re: Heat problems

To: Dave Yealy <lbc@littlebitcountry.com>
Subject: Re: Heat problems
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 21:28:52 -0700
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Dave,
     I've been through all this with my 60 Sprite before.  You need to
use a mix of 30% anti-freeze to water and mix in Water Wetter.  Remove
the electric fan as it blocks the air flow through the radiator.  Use a
6 bladed plastic fan on the water pump.  I changed to a high capacity
water pump from APT, this also helped.  My radiator is a three row core
that is an Austin Healey replacement, that is to say it is the
horizontal width wise 12 per inch fins like the original 2 row core.  A
3 row chevy core would be more effective because of increased fin area,
and it fits.  Like others have mentioned, NEVER close your water heater
valve.  It creates a hot spot at the number 4 cylinder.  A hot spot such
as this will cause a steam barrier between the cylinder wall and the
anti-freeze.  You won't get any heat transfer in this area and the rest
of the engine will be that much hotter.  A blanking sleeve is not
necessary unless you are racing at high speed all the time.  Better to
get a hold of Norman Nock in Stockton, California and order this sliding
sleeve thermostat.  The original bellows type thermostat that came with
your early Sprite/Midget had a sleeve that would slide down as the
thermostat opened when the water warmed up.  This sleeve covered a
bypass hole in the side of the thermostat hole wall.  This hole sent hot
water back to the cylinders to aid in quick warm-up.  The sliding sleeve
thermostat would close this off when the engine was sufficiently warm
and the proper cooling was accomplished.  A blanking sleeve also covers
this hole so you might try it to see if it helps.  I am also running
Evan's NPG+ Waterless Anti-Freeze that has a boiling point of 375 F
degrees.  This does not allow the steam barrier to happen and constant
contact of anti-freeze to metal allows correct heat transfer.  Even if
your engine goes up to 225F it is O.K. because the NPG is transferring
heat and will not boil at such a low temp.  The ambient temps here in
San Bernardino have been over 100 degrees lately.  I take my Bugeye out
and it gets up to 220 at a long stop light and then goes down to 190
when I start moving again.  High water temps do not bother me anymore.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite