Re: Starter Questions

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "yahoogroups, midgetsprite" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Questions
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:41:27 -0700
Brad,

You should be able to remove the starter without pulling the dizzy... I
never so. It takes a little crafty maneuvering, but it can defiantely be
done.

The starter might work with a quick zap of power when not under lead, but
I'm know some that have marginal brushes that will stop working or become
intermittent. The other problem is if the cable lug has been wrenched on
too many tome without the bottom nut being held. They can develop a
marginal connection and develop too much resistance to work all the time.
Again, this can be an intermittent problem until it gets so bad it just
quits working. It may even test OK with a meter, but the high current will
make it fail under load.

If you want to stop monkeying around, pick one and pull the end and inspect
the brushes. They're cheap and easy to replace if you have soldering
equipment.

Gerard

At 8:53 AM -0500 8/18/02, Brad Fornal wrote:
>I am sorry to keep bothering the list with car related questions, it is
>so out of character for me, BUT.........
>When I first started on the 65 Sprite, when I would try and start it,
>the starter would sometimes drop out early (i.e. turn for a half second,
>and then let go of the engine and free spin). I changed starters and
>Martha ran the first one into a shop. They say it is fine. I have
>another starter on the car and it does the same thing, AND, it also has
>a dead spot on the armature. I have to get out the lug wrench, pop the
>hood, tap the starter case, and push the solenoid button. Then it will
>either free spin, or start. The car is running for the most part, and I
>am just sorting out the few glitches I have. The question is, since the
>shop says the first starter is good. Was my problem with the solenoid (I
>REALLY like having the pushbutton type on there), or did the shop
>misdiagnose the starter. Martha said all they did was clamp it and put
>power to it, and it spun. That counts as good in their estimation. Maybe
>I need to take of work and explain to them the symptoms...............
>I have a stack of about 4 more to put in the car, but I hate having to
>remove the dizzy each time I try a new starter. I want to make sure that
>what I am doing is going to be the right thing. So,
>advice..................................????
>Brad

Search for Low Airfares, Great Hotel Deals,
Car Rental Discounts and Vacations and Cruises
http://partner.onetravel.com/go/go.cfm?GoID=32421

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com