Re: Kingpins & A-frames

To: Rick & Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Kingpins & A-frames
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:54:21 -0400
Rick -

Busy summer here, too:

Yes, you do need to drive out that tapered pin.  Good luck.  On mine,
one came out easily, the other was jammed tight.

There isn't a "stud", per se.  The A-arm has a short sleeve brazed to
either side of it.  One sleeve is closed off, the other (the end with a
grease fitting) has a cap that screws on.  Under the cap (inside the
sleeve) is a fulcrum pin that you can (theoretically) unscrew with a
big screwdriver.  I say "theoretically" because on mine, the fulcrum
pin was fused to the kingpin, so that the fulcrum could only be
unscrewed about 1/2 turn.

I ended up cutting the kingpin away from the A-arm.  I hope you don't
have the same hassle.

BTW:  There's a good changce that the fulcrum pin will have boogered up
the inside of the sleeve, meaning that you will have to have new
sleeves brazed to the A-arm.  If you do, have them put a 2nd grease
fittin on the closed end.  That way you can really grease the fulcrum
pin properly adn never have to do the job again.

Chris K.