Close call

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Close call
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:32:51 EDT
Last Sunday morn I decided to take the Sprite to work, having just passed the
state inspection, it was legal for the first time in months.  As I was
backing out of the garage my wife, who just happened to come out to say
goodby, started waving her arms frantically and told me to turn it off. I
killed it and she said there is gas running out all under the engine. Sure
enough there was gas all over the drive-way.  I raised the hood and turned
the key to run and a fountain of gas came out of the middle of the pressure
regulator. I took the regulator off this morning and took it apart and found
the rubber diaphragm had a rip in it. It is the Purolator adjustable type.
Granted it is about fifteen years old. A bad situation was averted by my
wife's observation. So if you have one of these regulators and its getting up
in years, I'd replace it without hesitation.
Mike