Wheel Cylinder "C" clip

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel Cylinder "C" clip
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:20:08 -0500
Well list, I am replacing the wheel cylinders on the new 74.  That was
the problem with the soft pedal.  Anyway, I got two new cylinders from
a local dealer, old cylinder off, new one ready.  Two questions:

1.  Should the paper gasket be used between the cylinder and backing
plate or not?

2.  Is there a special way that the "C" clip has to go on?  The clip
will only  seat in one position.  When seated, I cannot get the
bleeder back in.  If I move the clip around, the clip hits the
mounting flange that holds the backing plate to the axel.  BTW, is
there a recommended way to get the clip on, as I have already
destroyed two of them?

I know that a year or so ago, there was some information on this, but
I didn't save it, so am in need of some additional help.

Thanks again for bailing me out.

Dave Mac
66 in pieces and parts
74 on stands