Re: Wheel Cylinder "C" clip

To: David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Cylinder "C" clip
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:33:13 -0700 (PDT)
I may try Davids way next time, but what I did was throw out the C clip and
went to the hardware store and bought the c type circlips with the little holes
for the correct tool and used them.  I was lucky last time and found a nice
thick one to use. You might have to use two thinner ones.
Lon /RedMidget
 David Lieb wrote:> 2. Is there a special way that the "C" clip has to go on?
The clip
> will only seat in one position. When seated, I cannot get the
> bleeder back in. If I move the clip around, the clip hits the
> mounting flange that holds the backing plate to the axel. BTW, is
> there a recommended way to get the clip on, as I have already
> destroyed two of them?

Of course there is! Just use factory tool G-2753. Just kidding. I just went
through this again, since rear brakes seem to be dead on every Midget I get.
I guess I need more expensive taste in Midgets, since it seems that the ones
I can afford ...
Anyway, my biggest problem with getting these clips on was in thinking that
they were to slide on like every othe c-clip I have ever seen. Wrong again.
The actual technique that I use to put them on is to take a pair of
Vice-Grips with the nice curved jaws (what used to appear to be the only
ones you could get), set the cylinder in position with the gasket in place
if it came with one, lock the vice-grips onto the axle flange with the
handles pointing up so that the outside of the upper jaw is firmly holding
the cylinder into place. This by itself frees up about two hands. With that
side of things taken care of, you now get to go to the back of the plate. If
you had enough sense to pull the axle out of the car for this (hasn't
happened to me yet!), you can easily see what you are doing, otherwise bring
a good light and something to rest your head on. Remove the bleeder, it is
in the way. Hook the middle tang of the c-clip into place. Use a Craftsman
screwdriver (easy to replace that way, no fiscal connections involved) to
pry one of the other tangs OVER the top into place. Repeat the process for
the last tang (easier said than done). Yes, it can take several tries, but I
haven't broken any clips since I started using this technique (not my idea,
given to me by someone else whose name be praised).
Hope this helps (yes, it works on MGBs, too).
David Lieb
Too many RWAs