Re: Stupid Question

To: <buckeyesprite@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Stupid Question
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:53:22 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Dot 3 is the usual US fluid, and at least used to destroy the original British
rubber formulations.  I don't know for certain (100%) but feel very sure that
the British have not used that type of rubber for many years, so unless you
have the original 40 year old rubber gaskets and boots, etc. in your Sprite,
Dot 3 shouldn't do any harm. That said, it has a low boiling point and other
disadvantages.  Dot 4 (which is what I use in brakes and clutch in everything
I drive) has a higher boiling point, and I have not lost any rubber in a
variety of Sprites and TR's over the last 10 years, including a vintage racing
bugeye with disc brakes and a booster.  Brand doesn't matter.  I have a can of
the Castrol english formula which came with a car I bought.  It has been
sitting on my shelf for a long, long time!  I usually use Valvoline, but will
use anything that is one the store shelf.  As I said, I have had NO brake or
clutch problems since using it.  If what it is replacing is not dirty, I
simply add it (It is miscible with dot 3).  Otherwise I drain through the
wheel cylinders, topping up with DOT 4, or in the obvious extreme cases, tear
it all apart, clean, rebuild and put it all back together.

Hope this helps....

Bill McLeod
Slightly Classics
 Tucson, AZ