Re: rear shock mount

To: Dbcooper292@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear shock mount
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:00:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/26/02 11:01:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Dbcooper292@aol.com writes:

> What is with the design of the rear shock absorber body so the front bolt
> head can't be held with a wrench, socket, etc.?  I ended up taking out the
> rear one and turning the shock body enough so an open end could be slipped
> partway onto the bolt from below but it took forever and should never have
> been necessary.  I love these cars as much as the next person on this list
> but all of you who insist LBCs are just as well designed as Miatas just a
> little older go in the garage and take your rear lever shocks off then put
> them back on.  You'll find out why there's not an MG dealership on every
> corner.

- - - - - - - - - -

I removed my rear shox a while ago and I remember it was very tight, but I
was able to figure it out.  Sorry that I don't remember the details.  I seem
to remember sticking an open end in between the shock body and the inner
fender and letting it find a spot it liked, whilst I turned the other end of
the bolt...or nut.  Whatever.

Hint, replace the bolts, nuts, and locking washers with new, grade 5 hardware
when reinstalling.  At the very least, use a thread chaser on the old bolt
and nut to clean the threads.  Always use new locking washers.  Maybe a
little anti-sieze compound on the threads will help the next removal go
easier.

I don't remember that it was much more difficult than removing the starter or
radiator.  Keep in mind that a Spridget is about 18" SHORTER than a Miata.
Working on a big car is always easier in some respects.  :-)  Such is the
penalty we pay for owning a true Babe Magnet!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"